In computer programming, Perl is a high-level, general-purpose, interpreted, dynamic programming language. Perl was originally developed by Larry Wall, a linguist working as a systems administrator for NASA, in 1987, as a general purpose Unix scripting language to make report processing easier.Perl borrows features from other programming languages including C, shell scripting (sh), AWK, sed and Lisp.The language provides powerful text processing facilities without the arbitrary data length limits of many contemporary Unix tools,facilitating easy manipulation of text files. It is also used for graphics programming, system administration, network programming, applications that require database access and CGI programming on the Web. Perl is nicknamed "the Swiss Army chainsaw of programming languages" due to its flexibility and adaptability.Learning a programming language like Perl can seem quite daunting. It's a complex and powerful language, however, it's not that difficult to pick up. With the right tutorials and expert guidance in programming forums, you will be on your way to writing complex and even profitable Perl programs.Lets get started ..
- Download and install a Perl interpreter - ActivePerl is a good choice for Windows users. If you are using Linux or Mac OS X, Perl may already be installed on your system. To check, open a terminal and type perl -v into the command line. If you get a message stating the current version of Perl, then Perl is installed on your system. If you get a "Command not found" error, you will have to install Perl yourself, either by installing a package for your operating system, or by building from source.
- Find some good tutorials that teach the basics of Perl - There are many books and online references that will teach the basics of Perl. Learning Perl is a good choice for those who are unfamiliar with Perl, or even programming in general. People who already know the basics of programming may want to look at Programming Perl, which is designed for those who are already experienced programmers. Programming Perl is also a good book to read after reading Learning Perl.
- Read the documentation - In addition with tutorials, Perl comes with many pages worth of documentation that can be accessed inside your terminal with the perldoc command. You can also browse the documentation online by visiting http://perldoc.perl.org/
- Practice! - Unfortunately, just reading the books will not make you a good programmer. In order to really learn Perl, you need to write it. Many books and tutorials have example code to try out, as well as exercises to solve. Even though it can be tedious writing sample programs, it builds a good foundation which more advanced programming techniques can use.
- Give back to the Perl community - One of the best ways to help people out and improve your programming skills is to give back to the Perl community. One way is by writing modules for CPAN. This allows you to release your Perl modules to the world, help others out by writing libraries that make their lives easier, and learn a bit about packaging software too!
- In addition to being a command-line language, Perl can also be used to write Web applications (also known as CGI scripts). However, this requires the additional knowledge of HTML, CGI, and general server programming, so it is not covered here.
- When reading tutorials, try not to jump ahead of yourself, don't get overwhelmed at long blocks of code, go one step at a time, and focus. Do the examples until you understand them before moving on.
- Have fun! It takes a while to become really good at it, so pace yourself.
- If you really like the language and want to meet other local programmers, try seeing if there is an active Perl Mongers group near your hometown.
- Check your local library and see whether they have any Perl books. Since programming books can sometimes cost $30-50, it can save you money in the long run.
Till then,Keep programming and keep learning.
posted by XERO . Wikihw,Wikipedia and wiki community. A Zillion thanks to perl community and programmers out there.
Have a website ? Confused on how to make dough through it ? Read on …
Contextual advertisers include Yahoo Publisher Network, Google, and Adbrite. These ads usually display a link followed by some description text or the url of the link.Placement,theme and various factors contribute to the overall earning potential of a website.Here are some guidelines to follow whilst you just post through it.
- Make sure you place the ad correctly. Ads that people can’t see won’t be clicked on, so make sure the ads are located in a prime spot that will generate interest. The best spots for an ad is on the top fold of the webpage, meaning the viewer can see the ad without having to scroll. But not on the very top, most people don't look there
- Consider linking text. This helps to make the ad stand out more and gives a better chance for the viewer to actually read the ads. Secondly, since the ads are embedded within the text, it’s harder for the viewer to miss. Ads located on the sides are oftentimes looked over, which is exactly what you don't want visitors to do.
- Put small, relevant images next to your ads. This has been show to increase ad revenue because this attracts attention to the ads, and people are tricked into thinking that the picture is content related to the ad. Google Adsense allows this method (somewhat, however, some images placed next to ads can violate Google TOS, ask Google before adding images next to ads), however Yahoo Publisher Network does not allow it. Read the TOS on certain publishers to get more info on whether this is allowed or not.
- Make the ads relevant. The best part of contextual advertising is that the ads are relevant to your site (Adbrite does not have this feature, they just put up generic network ads). Google and Yahoo both target their ads decently well, but Google Adsense definitely has the best ads that are relevant to your site. To increase ad relativity, make sure the keywords that you want ads for are repeated throughout. For example, if you wanted to display ads related to “making money” you would repeat the phrase making money many times on my page. If you want to be making money, and making money is what you want, then make sure that you are making money by implementing these ads well. It’s also best to spread your keywords throughout the page instead of concentrated in one area like above.
- Keep to one theme. This kind of ties in with making your ads relevent, but make sure your website concentrates one one certain type of category. For example, GameSpot.com is a site that focuses on games, while IGN.com has sections over games, movies, comics, cars, etc. GameSpot, if they used Google Adsense, would be serving the most relevent ads - gaming ads. While IGN, if they used Google Adsense, would be serving ads about all sorts of things because they have so many sectors. If a gamer goes on IGN and sees an ad about Japanese Movies, they probably won’t be enticed to click. Of course, these statements are just theoretically speaking, the main point is that if your website is focused on one topic, the ads will be better served to your target audience. If you have a website that covers many things, it will be harder to generate ads that interest your users.
- Do your research. Each publisher allows you to create separate channels for your ads so you can track how each individual ad unit is doing. Look over your ads and see which ones are performing the best, and then make a judgment as to which ads you should keep and which ones you should alter or get rid of. Constantly looking over your statistics is a key factor to increasing your ad revenue.
Happy Money making webmasters (and webmaster to be…) :)
posted by XERO . Wikihow. All Rights reserved .
While I was stumbling across some good old backups,I found some good eBook links which i would like to share with you.Some of these are direct links where as some may require you to get registered.EBooks are big source of information and knowledge today and I have a great collection of them.You can also go through the earlier Various EBook links post or an extensive EBook links posts
I have-not tested every link but most of the work,but still I don't guarantee that.But for those which work,enjoy the loot :)
Here we go -
I will definitely be posting more links in future.Keep supporting my website and keep learning.
posted by XERO
by Rishabh Dangwal · 2
Note that you should not attempt this if you aren't ready to troubleshoot any problems that might occur.
The first issue we encounter is that computers with pre-installed operating systems take up the entire drive. Luckily Microsoft included the Shrink volume feature in Vista, so we can easily shrink the Vista/7 partition down to make room for XP.
Open the Computer Management panel, which you can find under Administrative tools or by right-clicking the Computer item in the start menu and choosing Manage. Find the Disk Management item in the list and select that.
Now we'll shrink our volume down by right-clicking on the main hard drive and choosing Shrink Volume.
Now you can choose the size that you want to shrink, which really means you are choosing the size that you want your XP partition to be. Whatever you do, don't just use the default. I chose roughly 10gb by entering 10000 into the amount.
The next step might be confusing, because we need to change the cd-rom drive that's invariably taking up D: at the moment, because we want to use D: for the Windows XP partition, but it's already taken by the cd-rom drive. If you skip this step than XP will install onto the E: drive, which isn't the end of the world, but it's not quite as tidy.
Right-click on the cd-rom drive in the list and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths from the menu.
Now we'll change the CD drive to use E: by selecting that in the drop-down.
Now we can create a new partition for XP to live on and make sure that the drive letter is set the way we want. If you do not create a partition now the XP install will do so automatically, but it's easier and cleaner to do it this way.
Right-click on the Unallocated free space area and then select New Simple Volume from the menu.
Follow through the wizard and select whatever options you'd like, making sure to use D: as the drive letter.
Now you will need to close out of disk management and reboot your computer. This is because we can't do the next step until we reboot. (you can try, but it won't work)
So we've come back from rebooting… open up Computer from the start menu and then right-click on the D: drive and select properties. Give your partition a meaningful name like "XP". It would be wise to name the C: drive to "Vista" at this point as well.
Now you'll want to pop your XP cd into the drive and boot off it. You may have to configure your BIOS to enable booting off the CD drive, or if your computer says something like "Hit Esc for boot menu" you might want to use that.
Once you come to the screen where you can choose the partition to install on, then choose either the unpartitioned space or the new partition you created. Whatever you do, don't try and install onto your Vista partition! See how much cleaner it is now that we've labeled each partition distinctly?
We'll assume XP is completely installed at this point, and you will have lost your ability to boot into Windows Vista, so we'll need to use the VistaBootPro utility to restore the Vista boot loader.
At this point, the Windows Vista bootloader is installed and you'll only be able to boot into Vista, but we'll fix that. Instead of manually doing the work, we'll just click the Diagnostics menu item and then choose Run Diagnostics from the menu.
This will scan your computer and then automatically fill in the XP version.. click on the "Manage OS Entries" tab and then click in the textbox for Rename OS Entry, and name it something useful like "Windows XP" or "The Windows That Works"
Click the Apply Updates button and then reboot your computer… you should see your shiny new boot manager with both operating systems in the list!
If you get an error saying "unable to find ntldr" when trying to boot XP, you'll need to do the following:
- Find the hidden files ntldr and ntdetect.com in the root of your Vista drive and copy them to the root of your XP drive.
- If you can't find the files there, you can find them in the \i386\ folder on your XP install cd
You can share information between the drives, but I wouldn't recommend messing with the other operating system's partition too much… it might get angry and bite you. Or screw up your files. What I do recommend is that you store most of your files on a third drive shared between the operating systems… you could call that partition "Data".
posted by XERO . Copyright 2008 How to geek - Source. All rights reserved .
Halo is one of the most exciting and fast paced games ever created. Hordes of online clans have emerged bragging over their skills in the game.The maps,the weapons,the items,everything is well crafted and hazardous (:P) .But have you ever tried to mod it ? Well here is a guide then.
- Winrar - WinRar is a file compressor that lets You make a 14Mb map file about 4 Mb.
- Halo's mapping tool version 3.5 (HMT) -
- SparkEdit - This tool lets you open a Halo map file and look at it, you can move things like rocks, trees and vehicles.
- Ppf-o-matic - A helper application for SparkEdit.
- Ppf Studio - With this utility, you can save the changes between a modded map and the original map, making the file size very small.
- .Net Framework – The microsoft .NEt Framework is required to run all above applications.
- Install WinRar to program files.
- Navigate to where you downloaded HMT.
- Right-click on the HMT icon.
- Scroll down to Extract to HMT folder and enter it.
- Click the icon that has a music symbol: Halo Mapping Tools.
- Hit File on the top left.
- Click Open.
- Navigate to your Halo maps folder.
- Open the map you want to mod. For this tutorial we will be using Bloodgulch.
Here are some good examples -
Change Pistol to Sniper
- Open the map you want to mod according to the instructions above. The box on the left holds everything in the map.
- There is also a scroll box to the right of the this window.
- Scroll down to the bottom, you should see a line that says [Weap] Weapons (20 Items)
- Double-click on this, and 20 lines of text should expand.
- Find the text that says weapons/pistol/pistol .
- Click the text once and see the screen change to list the available plugins.
- Download some plug-ins into this utility section; extract them to your hmt plug-in folder.
- Look for text that says something like:
- Zoom levels 1
- Minimum Zoom 2
- Maximum Zoom 2
- Change the text to look like this:
- Zoom levels 2
- Minimum Zoom 2
- Maximum Zoom 8
What this does is increases the zoom level of the weapon; we just gave the pistol the zoom level of the sniper.
- Scroll up until you find a line of text that says, [proj] Projectile (21 items) .
- Double click on this and scroll down until you see a line of text that says, Weapons/shotgun/pellet .
- Click once on this text.
- Go to the top of the screen where you should see some text and drop-down boxes, under text that says, Tag Editor.
- Click the button that says Swap. It will open up a window at the same place.
- Scroll down until you find text with a bunch of numbers and letters that says Vehicles/scorpion/tank shell.
- Double-click on this text, and return back to the projectile box.
- Hit the button that says Save and you have made your first mod.
- You will probably want to wait until you get more experienced with modding to post a mod as these mods are easy for the more experienced so your mod will be looked down on, and probably flamed.
Make a pistol to shoot Master Chiefs
- Open Blood Gulch with HMT.
- Near the top you will see text that says [bipd] bidped (2 items) .
- Double-click text.
- Select the text that says characters/cyborg/cyborg .
- At the top of the screen, under tag information, there will be a box that has these letters/numbers in it: B7F240.
- Copy this text.
- Click on [proj] Projectiles (21 items) .
- Scroll down to weapons\pistol\bullet and click.
- Paste the numbers and letters you copied from the Master Chief biped into the box.
- Click the Save button and play Blood Gulch.
- Verify your pistol shoots Master Chiefs.
This mod technique can be applied for a lot of things.
- When you change game type it should still look the same as before the change. In other words it should say ctf. If it says custom game you did something wrong.
- If you post a mod, make sure you have it in .ppf format or you are going to get in trouble with the moderators.
- You should join a forum to post your mods that you make or create a forum where people can give you tips. Getting tips from other people can help you make more creative mods.
A word of Caution
- Be careful as once the game is modded it will not work for a normal game. To fix this download or get the original map from a friend.
- Remember to save a copy of "blam.lst"
Happy Modding :)
posted by XERO . Wikihow .
I recently went with my friend to buy USB Pen Drives as I had heard that 32GB kingston pendrives were being sold for Rs 500/- .Of course I knew that no company would be selling pendrives at such price,so It was obvious that it was some cheap Chinese product, but being curious,I still went ahead and bought one. Who knows it may work…
Before Buying the Pendrive I asked the dealer what was its warrantee,he was reluctant to give any although there is a 1-3 year warranty on pendrives .I asked him to confirm properties of the pendrive in windows.He allowed me to do so and it displayed absolute 31.2 GB intact. Then I got curious that how it could be possible? Nevertheless,I purchased the pendrive..
After reaching home when I tried to copy the 4 GB “The Dark Knight” movie,and it got corrupted..that made me thinking again..I Googled and found similar cases arising through eBay. The company website didn't even had the model I purchased listed.I was selectively fooled and then I started experimenting with the pendrive..
Here is what I found -
- On copying pictures and stuff I found out that only till 2GB of data was intact, the rest got corrupted.
- No firmware signature was there..
- Formatting the Pendrive was of no use.
- I tried using windows Disk Check utility to see whether the bad sectors could be recovered but the program used to hang on initiating it.
- The fake took an excessively long time (1 to 10 hours) only 'pretending' writing but the data was not actually being written.
- Several Hidden system folders with random names having files more that 2.5 GB of size appeared randomly eg. 00000.000 will appear and you cannot delete them.
- On opening the pendrive I saw the PCB was in a pretty bad condition,It had a 2GB RAM chip and was patched in firmware to make it look as it was of 32 GB.
I used several programs to find out the actual capacity of pendrive and to format it.
(experiment with them :D )
The pendrive was dumped into trash after its dissection because it was thoroughly useless.ULTRA Slow transfer speeds,data corruption and random files..It deserved that.
I can say only one thing in the end..BE ORIGINAL, BUY ORIGINAL..
posted by XERO .
by Rishabh Dangwal · 5
Left 4 Dead is a co-operative, survival horror, first-person shooter game by Valve Corporation. The game uses the Source game engine, and is available for Windows-based personal computers and the Xbox 360.Left 4 Dead puts four human playable or AI controlled survivors of an apocalyptic pandemic against hordes of aggressive "Infected" zombies in a cinematic backdrop in which the players "star" as each character in a fictional movie.
Set in the immediate aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, L4D's survival co-op mode lets you blast a path through the infected in four unique “movies,” guiding your survivors across the rooftops of an abandoned metropolis, through rural ghost towns and pitch-black forests in your quest to escape a devastated Ground Zero crawling with infected enemies. Each "movie" is comprised of five large maps, and can be played by one to four human players, with an emphasis on team-based strategy and objectives.
New technology dubbed "the AI Director" is used to generate a unique gameplay experience every time you play. The Director tailors the frequency and ferocity of the zombie attacks to your performance, putting you in the middle of a fast-paced, but not overwhelming, Hollywood horror movie.
Battling your way through the grim, desolate world is always tense and challenging, thanks to the unpredictable, relentless enemies. It's equally thrilling to play as one of the zombies (aka the infected), coordinating deadly ambushes as you try to kill the survivors. Nevertheless, Left 4 Dead's well-crafted gameplay simply must be experienced in multiplayer. Left 4 Dead stars four charismatic survivors whose appearances and personalities add an immersive element to the game. When you play with one or more competent teammates, Left 4 Dead is an absolute blast.The difficulty changes as you play. The game throws tougher, more numerous foes at dominant survivors and offers periods of respite or more frequent resupply to beleaguered teams.Each area of the level becomes a potential battleground, so you have to be constantly vigilant, ready to make a defensive stand or rescue a teammate at a moment's notice.The multiplayer zombie-apocalypse shooter brilliantly brings players together thanks to great co-op and the most sadistic A.I. encounter system we've ever seen.
- Dynamic enemy placement make each play-through different
- Tight controls and well-tuned guns
- Stiff challenge makes survival difficult and thrilling
- Versus mode expertly turns the tables
- Killing survivors is as fun as killing zombies (if not more so).
- Campaign is less fun when played alone
- Only four campaign maps
- Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
- Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
- Memory: 1 GB
- Graphics: 128 MB, SM 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
- Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
- Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
- Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
- Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
- Memory: 1 GB
- Graphics: SM 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
Purchasing and Download Links -
- Buy Left For Dead (STEAM)
- Download Left for Dead (Mininova Torrent)
- Download Left for Dead (The Pirate Bay Torrent)
posted by XERO . Wikipedia and various sources,VALVE.
Freespire is a community-driven Linux distribution which is composed mostly of free/open source software, while providing users the choice of including proprietary software including multimedia codecs , device drivers and application software as they see fit. Freespire is originally derived from Linspire. Freespire consists of intuitive windows style design themes and interface to make user comfortable to its operations.
Its perfect Linux for those who don't know much about Linux but still want to use it.
- After burning iso to DVD
- Place Freespire in your computer's ROM drive
- Restart the computer
- Boot from DVD
- Hit Enter when INSTALL Freespire on this computer's hard drive is highlighted
- Click Next at the welcome page
- Select your keyboard layout and click Next
- There will be two options:
- If you wish to Take over an entire hard disk select that option and click Next. If you don't have more then one hard drive skip to step 8.
- If you wish to perform an Advanced install select that option, click Next, and continue to next step .
- Select a pre-made partition that you wish to use for Freespire. Determine if Freespire should write the MBR then click Next
- Fill out the form and click Next
- Verify the setup and click Finish
- Click Yes I'm Sure
Congratulations you are now installing Freespire! When the installation has completed click Ok, remove the CD, and hit Enter.
posted by XERO . warezshares-Phantom
by Rishabh Dangwal · 1
Morro is a code-name for an upcoming freeware Antivirus software, created by Microsoft. It is expected to be released in the second half of 2009, and will provide protection from viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojans.
Its announcement, made on Tuesday November 18th, marked a change in PC security strategy from Microsoft. OneCare, the all-in-one service that microsoft launched in May 2006 only managed to take 2% of the already clustered PC security market and failed multiple virus tests .Windows Live OneCare (previously known as Windows OneCare Live and formerly code-named A1) is a computer security and performance enhancement service developed by Microsoft for some of its Windows operating systems. The software is an annual paid subscription, which can be used on up to three computers. OneCare will be discontinued in June 2009,however, virus definitions, subscription renewal and support for OneCare will continue until Morro ships.. Morro will be a free, no-frills program suited for smaller and less powerful computers, perhaps aimed at the emerging "netbook" market.
Amy Barzdukas, senior director of product management in the online services division at Microsoft, said: "This new, no-cost offering will give us the ability to protect an even greater number of consumers, especially in markets where the growth of new PC purchases is outpaced only by the growth of malware.".
posted by XERO . Wikipedia and More..
by Rishabh Dangwal · 2
VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is a useful tool which allows you to control networked PCs from any location within the network as if you were sitting in front of the target computer. VNC creates a "virtual desktop," allowing you to operate the remote machine in exactly the same way you normally would.
- Visit RealVNC to obtain a copy of the VNC software. It is free for personal use.
- Install VNC on all machines which you plan to access remotely.
- Choose "service mode" during installation. This allows VNC to run as a Windows service, which offers resource-management advantages.
- Confirm that VNC is running on all machines. If the service is running, there will be an icon in the system tray showing the letters "VNC."
- To access another machine from your current location, click Start > All Programs > RealVNC > VNC Viewer 4 > Run VNC Viewer. A small input box will appear. Type the IP address of the known remote computer and click OK. You are now successfully connected.
While VNC is primarily a productivity tool, it can also be used to play any number of amusing tricks on unsuspecting users. If you are at home or among friends, try taking over a user's desktop without their knowledge and watch the ensuing chaos. They will wonder why their mouse pointer suddenly has a mind of its own. For extra hilarity, try starting Notepad or something similar and typing in cryptic "messages from beyond." Needless to say, do not secretly install VNC on the computer of your boss or supervisor for these purposes. He or she will not be amused, and you will probably find yourself with a sudden excess of free time.
- Make sure that your network is secure before installing VNC. If the network is vulnerable, there is a risk of intruders gaining direct unauthorized access to the machines on your network. Should this occur, the intruders will have the ability to do a great deal of damage. If your network connects to the internet, make sure that a firewall is in use, and that proper security procedures are observed.
- A security hole in RealVNC could be used to log in without a password. Make sure you have the latest version.
5 DAYS and I will return..I have got a fine Job and have been feeling easy as of now.
Thank You Guys.
POsted by XERO . WIKIHOW