Do you like this story?
Working at Tulip Telecom has his own charm, you get your hands on an array of devices and lots of research . Well, i got my hands on Mikrotik routers, i have been working on them for a considerable amount of time (more than 6 months) and they are awesome. Here’s what i like in them -
- Awesome Router OS
- Extensive IP accounting which can segregate and display bandwidth utilization by IP,vlan,interface,source,destination .. and even more..you name it it has it.
- 3G modem/VPDN support.
- Extensive Queue and filter support, with ability to use burst limits and can be extended on individual interfaces, vlan etc. its a full fledged firewall provided you know how to use it.
- Wi-Fi support.
- Can do Email, SMS/SMS gateway..Hell..you can even run a PHP server inside Router OS
- Supports MPLS , BGP, OSPF, Multicast ,DHCP
- Netflow server
- Packet capture, Wi-Fi snooper, packet capture can be opened using wireshark
- Scripting support to insane levels
- Hardware encryption
- Easy to deploy
- Stable..and Cheap
- and much much more..
About the author : Rishabh Dangwal
Rishabh Dangwal is a no-nonsense network geek who has got a thing for guitars, retro games and emulators. When he is not tinkering with devices and gadgets, he can be found reading novels by Fredrick Forsyth. Follow him on Twitter